I love Halloween for so many reasons, and this spooky Vampire Martini is one of them. It is SO much fun! A creepy concoction of vampire’s blood and vodka, oh my! The syringes look so real, it’s almost unnerving. What’s really going on here is a combo of my cantaloupe martini, dry ice and a syringe of raspberry purée. The raspberries turn a nice deep red color when cooked– and when put into a syringe (bought on Amazon or ask your pharmacist for plastic syringes) the smartest of vampires can’t stay away!
You can always make this alcohol-free by using watermelon juice instead of the vodka and watermelon liqueur.
A note about dry ice. It is not meant to be touched or swallowed. It can give skin a freezer burn so only handle it with tongs, and make sure it sinks to the bottom before anyone drinks from the glass!
- 6 ounce package fresh raspberries (2 cups), pureed in blender or food processor
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 ounces vodka (3/4 cup)
- 4 ounces watermelon liqueur (1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice (1/4 cup)
- 12 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice 1½ cups)
- 4 plastic syringes (purchase on Amazon or ask your pharmacist)
- small amount of dry dry ice
- Using a large spoon, push pureed raspberries through a fine sieve or strainer to remove to seeds. Discard seeds. Pour remaining juice and pulp into a small saucepan with the sugar over medium high heat and cook until the color deepens and mixture thickens, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a small glass bowl and place in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool.
- In the meantime, pour vodka, watermelon liqueur, lemon juice and orange juice into a small pitcher. Stir well. Set aside.
- Take raspberry mixture out of the freezer and suck up into the syringes. Set syringes aside.
- Working in two or three batches (depending on how big you martini shaker is), pour martini mixture into an ice-filled martini shaker and shake well. Pour martini glasses and repeat until all 4 martini glasses are full. Put one syringe into each drink.
- USING TONGS (do NOT touch dry ice), place small chunks or chips of dry ice into each drink. Serve right away but make sure your guests DON'T drink it until the dry ice has fallen to the bottom- dry ice is NOT meant to be swallowed.