This is the perfect dish to kick off the new year! Light and healthy but with a nice spicy hint, this will keep you in line with some of the most favorite resolutions. The trick is to not overcook the salmon, do that and you’ve won most of the battle with this dish!
- 2 six-ounce salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 14-ounce can black beans
- 1 ear corn, white or yellow, shucked
- canola oil for brushing on corn
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup ripe mango, diced
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 medium sized corn tortillas
Heat grill to medium high.
Remove skin from salmon. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Generously dust fillets with spice mixture. Set aside.
Drain beans of almost all liquid, keeping about 2 tablespoons of the liquid to cook beans in. Heat beans in saucepan for about 3-4 minutes until they bubble. Using a spatula, smash beans until they thicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside.
Shuck the corn, brush with canola oil and grill for a total of 5-7 minutes, turning to cook all sides evenly. Remove from heat and use a knife or corn stripper to remover corn from cob. Set aside.
In a small bowl, mix avocado, mango, red onion, red pepper, cilantro jalapeño and lime juice. Set aside.
Cook salmon. Heat 1/2 the canola oil large non-stick pan over high. Sear salmon for 30 seconds and turn to medium low. Cook about 4 minutes. Turn fillets and cook about 3 minutes more, or until still a little pink in the center.
Heat remaining oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Fry tortillas, one at a time until golden and crispy. Remove from heat and place on a paper towel.
Layer the tostadas. Spread beans on fried tortillas, then sprinkle grilled corn over the beans. Add romaine, then salmon. Top with the mango avocado salsa and serve.
Linked up with Not Just a Housewife.