Today was a really cold day here in the desert…cold and rainy. We see so few days like this– when it gets a little chilly we all LOVE it. We cozy in and build a fire and make delicious hot comfort food. Like this Chicken Stroganoff Skillet Lasagna…just about right for a day like today, and SO up my alley. This thing has “Erika” written all over it. Did I mention how embarrassingly EASY this is to make? It is. Today is also a great day for an awesome giveaway including some of my favorite things to make COMFORT FOOD. A Le Creuset Dutch Oven and cast iron skillets are my go-to pans for a day liked today and at the bottom of this post you can enter to win a package that includes them BOTH as well as some other of my favorite kitchen things!
Now back to the weather. Just look at the clouds backing up to Camelback Mountain outside out door.
Puppy decided it was too cold outside and warmed up to my hubby….
Enough of the cute puppy (and cute hubby), and on to the FOOD. This gorgeous skillet lasagna to be exact. Creamy, flavorful deliciousness all wrapped up in one of my favorite packages- a lasagna!! I dreamed this thing up in my sleep the other day…I love beef stroganoff but wanted more of a weeknight meal with chicken in it. I am always trying to figure out different ways to cook chicken and this fits the bill. I was worried about the cheese in the lasagna but trust me, it all works. BIG TIME. My husband and daughter wolfed this down as soon as I finished photographing it so it was a hit (not all of the recipes I dream up at night work out so I was relieved to say the least).
- 2 pounds chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed then minced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- ¼ cup dry vermouth
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- ½ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked according to the package directions
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Put chicken pieces them into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss thoroughly to combine. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and toss to coat.
- Heat a 10” oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Add the vegetable oil. Working in batches, add the chicken- do not to overcrowd the pan. Brown the chicken about 3-4 minutes on each side. The chicken will finish cooking in the sauce.
- In the same skillet, add half the butter, shallots and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes until mushrooms have released liquid. Add garlic and cook one more minute. Make a small well and add the remaining for the flour and butter, stirring to combine the two. When butter and flour have fully combined, stir into the mushroom mixture and cook one more minute. Add the vermouth and let bubble for 2 minutes. Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring while adding. Add Worcestershire and give it a stir. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer stroganoff mixture to a glass bowl, leaving a little sauce in the bottom of the skillet. Layer with 4 noodles. Add half the stroganoff mixture, then half the cheese. Add another layer of noodles, the rest of the stroganoff mixture then the rest of the cheese. Place skillet in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes until golden bubbly. Serve.
Now on to the GIVEAWAY!! These are some of my favorite kitchen things and I am giving them all away to one lucky winner! See all the prizes including Le Creuset and Enter below). This is all part of our “Holiday Favorite Things Blog Hop” along with a group of other bloggers (below are links to their giveaways). 1 Miss in the Kitchen * 2 Very Culinary * 3 The Hopeless Housewife * 4 Roxana’s Home Baking * 5 Taste and Tell *6 Lauren’s Latest * 7 Namely Marly
Here’s how my giveaway works:
*Below is my giveaway of my favorite kitchen things. The list of what’s included is below the photo. One person will win all of the prizes. *Enter to win all of my favorite things right here at the bottom of this post. *Head on over to the other great blogs to see what their favorite things are and how to enter their great giveaways!
Here is exactly what is including in my package (see below the graphic to see what each numbered item is!):
#1: Le Creuset Signature Round Wide 3-1/2-Quart Dutch Oven
#2: Microplane zester
#3: Universal Housewares 3-piece Cast Iron Skillet Set
#4: OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
#5: MIU Potato Ricer
#6: Thunder Group Stainless Steel Measuring Cup Set