I am going back to the classics. Great stuff you will make on family dinner night, or maybe you will just make for your boyfriend (or girlfriend). We all know the saying the way to man’s heart is through his stomach and I think they were talking about spaghetti and meatballs when “they” said that. Really, I do. I made pasta for my husband while we were dating and we ended up married. True story. I am laughing as I write this because I am in a silly mood but I really did make him pasta and he loved it! He is very cute but that is an entirely different story I will have to tell you about sometime.
Okay, onwards! We have all heard about someone’s spaghetti and meatball recipe being THE BEST and then we try it an it doesn’t quite measure up. This one measures up- it’s the best spaghetti and meatball recipe, really!
Who doesn’t love a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs? I remember as a kid going to the Old Spaghetti Factory and getting a big piping hot plate of cheesy spaghetti, meatballs and garlic bread, it was always a memorable night (I am still talking about it, aren’t I?)
This is the perfect Sunday night dinner and so easy to make. The meatballs are tender and flavorful, the sauce is thick and rich…yum, yum and YUM!! Make this ASAP.
So easy…just mash all this together….
..and form into these cute balls!
Cook these little guys up in batches…
Then add to the simple sauce….look at my bubbly saucy mess- I love it.
- For the Meatballs:
- ½ pounds ground beef
- ½ pounds ground pork
- ½ pound veal (you may also use ¾ pound of ground beef and pork and no veal)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed then minced
- ¾ cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- For the Sauce:
- 1 whole yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed then minced
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup red wine
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 4 whole fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 pound spaghetti, cooked
- ½ grated parmesan for topping
- Start meatballs. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl except oil. Mix together well by hand. Roll into 18 1-inch balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add meatballs being careful not to crowd the pan.Brown meatball on each side then remove to drain on paper towels while you work on the next batch. Repeat until meatballs are all cooked.
- Start sauce. In the same pot, lower the heat to medium and add the onions until almost translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 3 minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic!). Add tomato paste and cook until it turns dark, about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes wine, sugar, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and parsley. Stir well and bring to a bubble. Cook, uncovered until sauce thickens a bit, about 15-20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add basil to reduced sauce and stir well. Add meatballs and cook another 20 minutes, being careful not to smash the meatballs when stirring.
- Serve with cooked spaghetti and parmesan cheese.